Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What's the weather like...in Romania?

I got my Peace Corps assignment and my mission, should I choose to accept it is in Romania where I will be working for two years on helping to develop NGOs (non government organizations).

I'm very happy to be stationed in Romania - a beautiful country with rich history I'm told- because Peace Corps has been well established there, and my only preference was for some place where it's not too hot. I was very lucky to happen to get stationed in Eastern Europe where I would have requested had I stated a preference.

My official title will be Community Developer. I don't know exactly what my job duties will be day-to-day but I get the sense that it's the kind of job where you never fit all your duties into one description and often find yourself doing things not in your job description. The job description the Peace Corps sent me sounds right up my alley - accept I'll be doing all these things...in Romanian, the language I have to learn.

Of course right now I don't know too much about my assignment or anything. My mom is going to send the materials to me here in Ocean Springs and then I can look them over in more detail. The most important thing that I know right now is that I leave for training in D.C. on Feb 19th.


5 comments:

Johnny Ong said...

cld be doin anything that no one is doin it at the moment

Chris said...

WhOO HOO!! Congrats Laura. Wow that is going to be a hell of an adventure. I'm really happy for you.

Unknown said...

Congrats Laura! I'm sure you'll pick up enough language to get by. And I don't know what they eat in Romania. Think you'll have a bit of off time during you're training? I could easily make the four hour trip.

Cathy said...

Congrats!! I am so happy that you are placed in Eastern Europe. I hope to see you before you go, but I am so excited for you!!

Chris said...

Laura I'd be up for a trip to NYC in Jan.