Friday, May 11, 2007

Noi suntem voluntarii (we are volunteers)!

Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps, even if I'm quoting what the Peace Corps told me I mean it in a good way.

Hello, the city of Deva! I’ve been meaning to post about our official volunteer Swearing In Ceremony which took place a week ago Friday May 4th. It was beautiful, exciting, emotional, and had all the gravitas of graduation and all the flowers, balloons, and pretty shoes of prom.

Now, it seems like it was a while ago after arriving in my city last Sunday and everyday making my way to the office of my organization to spend time on the computer researching, gathering resources, and in general thinking about how to make my way in this organization in this city.

Of course I have big plans, but big plans need to be built on a foundation and I’m starting from the ground up (or below the ground if the ground is where native Romanians beging with their understanding of the language and knowledge of which cheese to buy.)

I’m trying to let go of American cultural norms that say I have to be at work at a certain time every day and accomplish something for every day I show up. This is a process that’s going to happen slowly, and now –after all the laughter, tears, and Romanian language homework of PST- I’m right at the beginning.

If this were LOTR, after swearing in - I’d be right about at the Council of Elrond, but the beginning of the chapter, before the actual council starts.

Let me quote some material Peace Corps has given us on what to expect our first month at site:

“Romania is a transitioning country. Things are different here in many ways from what you are used to at home. Some of these differences will be frustrating. The banking system and the post office are challenges for outsiders. There are public safety hazards that will require your attention: large holes in the streets and sidewalk go unmarked, the pavement and sidewalks is often uneven, vehicular traffic is unpredictable, people often drive on the wrong side of the street and on sidewalks. During the winter snow and ice removal is limited. Other frustrations include being overcharged for services. You will need to learn to be vigilant; no one is going to protect you from these frustrating and discouraging things.”

While, I have found all of these things to be true, I know that the rest of the advice Peace Corps has given me is also true – that a good experience at site requires attention and participation – even diligence.

Diligent I can be, but first I have to figure out how - once I find a Romanian tutor, find my way around town, find my way to a sandwich, but first I have to negotiate the day to day with my second gazda (she’s a dear) and convince my coworkers who take good care of me that I can walk home from the office by myself.

I feel like even finding my way to something I can work diligently on will take time. And it will. And that’s ok because what I got right now is time.



First day of training in Ploiesti

Last day of training in Ploiesti right before the party (notice my new Romanian shirt, and my Romanian haircut).
the journey begins

Watch one of my colleges speeches at our swearing in ceremony on youtube in two parts. I recorded it with my digital camera but the file was too big to post in one chunk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgJaCo2ojKQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjo0WgqG_6E

4 comments:

Andrew said...

I'm not certain what to say exactly besides Congratulations! I can't wait to hear about all of the good you will be doing for so many people. (In the mean time about half that description of Romania fits New York as well. funny that.) Just remember that "You and I shall rule the world, but mostly I. Get it? Cause I'm a Giant Eye?"

Chris said...

Good Luck. And if you need help on your travels let me know.

Laura said...

Oh I believe that that fits New York, minus the horse drawn carts, the goats and wild dogs on the side of the road, the roosters crowing at all hours and this weekend I saw two horses walking down the street, slowing down traffic with no cart to be seen! No idea who they belonged to but they seemed to be going somewhere.

Andrew said...

I'm sorry but I feel that New York could benefit from some horses wandering around. My only issue would be that they would be in danger of being shot by someone. (No this isn't the city bias that people carry guns it's the Andrew Based bias that an off duty cop shot his girlfriend outside of the supermarket where we go for produce because she was trying to leave him because he was too controlling. {hello run on sentance.}) Also I'm always in favor of goats and roosters but could be less thrilled about wild dogs.