Saturday, April 26, 2008

I hate being a responsible adult!
The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps, of which I am a proud volunteer.

Tomorrow is Easter in Romania and I don't have any plans to celebrate with anyone, but I was walking through the piata yesterday and everyone everywhere was selling rabbits. Live rabbits!
Little rabbits by the boxfull, big rabbits - three times the size of my cat, white rabbits, brown rabbits, gray rabbits, dirty rabbits, cute rabbits, rabbits in plastic bags (still alive).

Now I strongly suspect theser rabbits are...um, not being sold as pets, but every time someone called out to me in Romanian, "Domnishwara, Buy a rabbit for Easter!" I was tempted.

The rabbit could live in carboard box in my apartment. I could buy fresh sawdust for it at the pet store. It could eat the vegetable scraps from my cooking - or I could just go outside and pull up some fresh grass for it like everyone else is doing.

Bella and the rabbit could be friends and play together - because basically she's got nothing on a rabbit of decent size. She could be fierce to one of the little baby rabbits, maybe but otherwise I'm not worried. Besides, I'd be there to protect little Pipkin or Fiver.

I don't want to take a home to the USA. I just want a rabbit. Now. To play with for a while and after a couple of months I could take it to the top of the hill and release it into the wild (if I thought it could survive in the wild) and spare it being dinner.

I've never before been in a situation where getting a rabbit could be so easy. And you have to understand that I've wanted a rabbit all my very own for my whole life!!

But I know none of this would work out. None of it is a good idea. It's not good for me, for Bella, or for the rabbit. So I'm not getting a rabbit. And I hate being a responsible adult.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Oh man, I know how you feel. I think that explains Frodo, personally. :)