Monday, June 02, 2008


Berry Bliss!
The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps, of which I am a proud volunteer.

I think for the first time in my life I went to the piata and bought only what was on my list and nothing else. That's because I made sure that my list included fresh strawberries. Because in late May and early June when the strawberries are ripe, life isn't worth living if you can't have strawberries. The strawberries are so ripe that the air in the market even smells like real fresh strawberries.

And they are delicious. I ate one as I was leaving the market and I swear it was sweet perfection in strawberry form. The ultimate strawberry. True berry bliss!

I waked home dipping into my bag of berries thinking about what I'm going to do with my whole kilo. Should I buy yogurt? make vanilla ice milk? add whipped cream? You know what I think I'll do. Eat them one at a time.

The whole kilo, you may ask. No, some now, and some later.

I was walking up my alley thinking of how this could be better. If I had fondue-set and some chocolate? If I somehow would have time this season to make strawberry preserves? If there was somehow a hammock in my life and a constantly replenishing bowl of perfectly ripe strawberries?

I was walking by the blooming roses and my alley is heavy with the perfume of tea rose - that is when its not smelling inexplicably like jasmine. (I don't know what the jasmine bush looks like, but it smells exactly like the time I made jasmine candles with a jar of candle fragrance purchased off the internet...good.)

And I decided not to think about ways to make this experience better. I have strawberries and good weather, pretty flowers. Why complicate things?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it's always the simple things that bring us back to our states of bliss...isn't it? No frills. No tricks. No tease. No lies. Pure. Simple. Fragrant berries.

I truly miss real produce. Almost everything here, including pineapple and mangoes, are shipped in, genetically modified and ridiculously expensive. Oh for a honest to goodness farmers market or fruit cart with fruit still warm from the fields...

Sarah said...

Strawberries.....mmmmmmm that sounds good.