Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Accident in a minor key

There are some things you just don't say in a phone message. For one,that somebody died. For two - that you got in a car accident. Even a minor one. So, since I broke one of my own rules last night, I need to give a little explaination.

Yesterday was the first real snowfall of the year - meaning it stayed on the ground. Although technically it hit the ground, melted, then froze again as ice. Yesterday was also the day we picked up our 6th graders for our Linking Up service project that the kids voted on - and took them to two different nursing homes to volunteer by visiting with the residents. However, this story takes place on the way to pick up the kids.

There's a lot to be said about driving other people's kids around. I was really uncomfortable with the concept initially and its still not my favorite thing to do. The thing I've discovered about driving a 15 seater conversion van is that you can not adjust the mirrors from a place where your head will be while driving. Well at least I can't. My arms are too short. So mirrors are practically useless. But the mirrors were not involved in what happened yesterday.

On the way to pick up the van there was some discussion of anti-lock brakes -as I understand it those are the ones that pump the brake for you. All I need to know is if you need to stop and your not stopping push hard on the brake. I employed this technique to perfect effect when upon reaching the school I immediately skid out on an icy patch as I stopped at an all too important stop sign which prevents me from getting run over by school busses.

I stepped hard on the anti-lock brake and wait for the huge 15 seater conversion van to slide to a halt and it does. I did it right. Sigh. As I'm taking inventory of my personal well being after this incident, my thoughts are interrupted by someone slamming into the back of the van. I didn't even know there was a car behind me! So I get out of the van and this girl my age gets out of a tiny car and she asks if I'm all right, I ask how she is. Same thing - she slid on the ice and couldn't stop so she rear ended me. Only the front of her car is totally smashed and the van is fine. Not a scratch I could see. Her hood was dented, headlights broken; so smashed I was struck by surprise and was even heard to stupidly remark "is all that from right now?" as in "or was the front of your car already smashed before you hit me?" Here's my sign.

I gave her my name & phone number in case she needs me to explain what happened to anyone and got her info in case they discover some damage to Concordia's van. I also had to call the Car Pool office once we got to the nursing home and let them know. They weren't too concerned as I said the van appeared to come through without a mark.

This incident, however minor in retrospect, put me in a bit of a state, then as far as driving the kids for the rest of yesterday. But its over now and nothing I can do but get back in the saddle today - or behind the wheel of a great big giant 15 seater conversion van. God be with me!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

WOW!! I'm so glad to hear that you came out of the insident unscathed, so to speak. At least no one was hurt. Are you doing okay afterwards? I'll be thinking of you.

Chris said...

Laura-
I'm glad to hear that you can through with out a strach. How are you doing today. how did driving go today?
-chris