Thursday, December 06, 2007

Pictures from the train window continued: Calan
Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.


I took this video out the window of the train and you're just going to have to read what I have to say about this video because originally it was 185 MG of countryside between the train station and the factory with explanation and Romanians speaking in the background.I had to edit it down to 99 because 100 is all blogger and youtube can handle. And apparently blogger can't handle it.


This is video of the factory in the town of Calan. When I visit my friends south of me in Baru Mare or in Petrosani this is the train I take and it goes through the abandoned factory. The factory is on both sides of the tracks. I've also been in a car that drove through Calan and let me tell you the abandoned factory on both sides of the road is an experience. I must say looking out train windows in Romania you see an abandoned factory like this every so often but this is the biggest one I've seen. It also extends back away from the tracks quite a bit.


I don't know what used to be made in this factory. I don't know how many people live in Calan, but these are things that I'm going to try to learn. I don't know if anything is being done with this abandoned factory but I have a feeling it's beyond any Peace Corps volunteer to do a project about it.

1 comment:

Nicki said...

You know what that reminds me of, a little? Pictures of Chernobyl after the nuclear plant exploded. There are villages that are completely abandoned, the people could only take what they could carry, so you have these really eerie photographs of houses and apartments that are all set up and look like they're ready for the people to come back--only the grass has grown up really high and there might be deer walking down the highway.

I can see how people might think Communism wouldn't be so bad: if that factory was going strong it probably employed half the town and now what? Paintballing would be a good idea--or site-specific theatre. Something like Crime and Punishment, perhaps. :) Otherwise, I could see a movie being shot there, something like Highlander or an action-flick that needs lots of space to run around.

It is sort of weirdly beautiful though, isn't it?