Monday, September 17, 2007

The Frugal Gourmet (Laura gives up food shopping)
Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

I have put a limit on my grocery shopping - no more. I am not spending any more money on food until I use all the food that is currently in my apartment. This limitation comes on the heels of the realization that I spend far too much money on food. So, no more.

I think it will take until November to eat all the food I have, but it is difficult to keep up with the fresh vegetables in the fridge. Also, I have to make a few exceptions. I'm allowed to purchase a few additional staples, bread, milk, buttter and eggs. Also popcorn. I don't expect I'll run out of popcorn, but I wanted it stated there anyway.

Exempt from this vow is going out to eat, which I only do on special occassions like when someone comes to town to visit (unfortunately I have a popular town where at least two of my friends have to come to pick up their international packages) and any money I spend going out to eat while I'm out of town. Mostly I'm concerned about spending too much at the market and grocery stores. But if my friends come and visit me and they want something to take back to my apartment to prepare and they buy it - that's fair too. (like if I offer to make my favorite spinach and sun-dried tomato pizza but I don't have any motzerella cheese, spiniach, mushrooms or zuchini, because let's face it I'm not going to run out of garlic.)

Also, this deal doesn't include any food given to me that I bring home without paying for. For example, I went to visit my second gazda last night and she gave me a bag of tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, a block of parmesean cheese and two jars of jam. I didn't ask for this, but graciously accepted her hospitality. What I could really use is eggs... (why oh why did I only buy six eggs?!)

The other thing that must come up is the definition of "all the food in the apartment" - that is not until I'm eating mustard with a spoon, but until I can no longer reasonably and creatively fashion meals out of what I have - without breaking in too much to the pickles, tomatoes, peaches, zacusca and plums I have personally canned for the winter. As I have been known to make a meal out of rice, butter, garlic and dried herbs, we will see.

Tonight's menu looks like an onion and pepper, tomato omlett (which would be better with mushrooms, but I'm not buying mushrooms!) and potatoes as I had finally made a dent in my 3 kilos of potatoes when my gazda gave me another sack of potatoes.

Regardless this is going to get interesting, as I can not buy any more eggs, milk, or butter until next month as I have already over spent the money I allow myself to spend each month. However, if I make it til next month I'll have lots of extra spending money not wasted on food to spend on coffee and cigarettes, or more likely - on the new kitten I may or may not be picking up tonight. You never can tell what's going to happen when you make plans with someone so we'll see. I've never been a cat owner before so this will definately prove exciting!

As it stands I have 1 leu left to spend and I'm off to the piata to see if that will get me a loaf of bread. I'll try to provide frequent updates on how I'm doing with pledge.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cigarettes! Laura no!

Nicki said...

Kitty! Laura yes!

Laura said...

No cigarettes. That was just a joke.