Saturday, September 22, 2007

Whiskey in your water, Sugar in your tea?
Disclaimer: The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Here's an update on the grocery situation, although I'm sure no one cares. I had to buy eggs. I know it's not October yet and I don't really have any more money to spend on food, but you see I was a fool to start out with less than six eggs, so I allowed myself 1 additonal food purchase and it was a bag of eggs. Now when eggs come in a bag I assumed there were twelve. There were not. There were ten eggs which brought my egg total to 11 on Wednesday.

Today I noticed that one was cracked - so I was going to throw it away, but how do you throw away an egg? or more importantly where do you throw it because it you throw it in the trash it's just going to rot in the trash - and they don't let you bring that kind of thing to political events anymore. So I cracked it into a bowl, and judged it to be fine and added it to what was going to be an omlett but turned into scrambled egges. 3 egg scrambled eggs since I'd already cracked two when I decided to rescue Humpty Dumpty from the would-have-been-trash.

I also had to throw away the rest of my peppers. They have been living in the fridge since before I left for the habitat trip and though I got rid of the bad ones when I returned I managed to save the remainder for quite an additional while, perserving them by cutting them up and letting them float in a covered bowl of cold water in the fridge for an additonal two weeks, but when I noticed the water was cloudy it was time to ditch the peppers.

Without the benefit of peppers, my scrambled onion, cheese and tomato eggs will last me another meal along with the roast potatoes from the night before which were supposed to be potato wedges but they were overdone so this morning they were refried with onion. Sad how as I dished up this rather spectacular breakfast - though cold-ish since I only have one frying pan, I begrudged the early pioneers that they get to have coffee AND tea! An unfortunate by-product of uch a meal (and most meals, actually is I now have to wash every pot, pan, and dish I have!)

I've also noticed I'm rushing through my new jar of honey at quite an alarming speed despite my discovery of where to by honey for 6 lei as opposed to 9. I like a little honey in my tea, but since I have nothing to dish it out with but a teaspoon and you know honey, I probably use more than I should.

Even STASH brand Chai Tea (the best, in my experience) is better with a touch of honey or sugar, and better still with a splash of milk. But my milk spoiled since the only thing I use it for is a touch in my tea, and occasionally when I'm baking -or in oatmeal. I guess I don't use milk often enough to justify buying a new liter and a half. But I do miss a spot of milk in my tea....

What I'm saying is my food may not last me as long as I thought which means next month's budget is not going to be all the fun and games I dreamed it would be. Perhaps no areobic workout ball for me and maybe a Romanian copy of Harry Potter and the Philopher's Stone will have to be put on hold, yet again.

In non food news here's another picture of Bella I thought got posted last time, but I guess not...


2 comments:

Andrew said...

I'm so sorry I've been out of touch, I hope to catch you early (for here) Sunday on Skype. Congratulations on the kitten "mama Laura."

I miss you a ton and love you to pieces friend of mine!

Nicki said...

Bella sayz: "Pink fuzzy. I has it."