Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I'd like to thank the Academy...

I would like to say that this is my last post about Brokeback Mountain, however I can make no such promises.

8 Academy Award nominations! Eight! That's huge! Count them with me: Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Actor, Best Cinematography, Best Original Score, Best Screenplay Adaptation, Best Director and BEST PICTURE!
(I would like to add a nomination for best use of Randy Quaid)

Now, my money is on best Best Screenplay Adaptation hands down, and also best director. I'm thrilled that they were nominated for Best Picture, but I don't expect it to win. The awards are, after all very political and I don't believe the country is ready to make Brokeback Mountain best picture. I wouldn't be sad if Crash won.

The thing that gets to me is that there are still so many douche bags out there in who won't go see this movie becaue they're afraid of what it might be. (And I'm not going to name states - because they're everywhere.) And it's unfortunate they won't see it because their fears might be confirmed (fear of what? I'm not sure. That they might empathize with people who love each other perhaps?) but probably not. It's just a damn good movie. I agree with Sam who said it's possible to read your own views on homosexuality into the movie, and Christianity Today agrees with their startlingly honest review (and disapointingly stupid comments on said review).

I think some people don't know what to do with these characters because they're so masculine and until now homosexuality has been defined for some people by Queer Eye and Will & Grace. So don't challenge yourself and see it. But, agendas aside - it has no agenda; It is a haunting love story and an equally haunting look at our own history. A history so recent it can hardly be called history. So recent I can see it when I look back to high school.

So to all you douch bags out there who've been up on your soap box about this film - as long as your on your soapbox over there, I'm going to be up on mine, singing the praises (and shortcomings) of this film. (One thing I'm grateful for - no excessive foley like in Angels in America. I think you know what I'm talking about...).

Ok, I'm sorry I called you a douche bag. But I hope and pray that someday you'll find it within yourself to open your mind enough to JUST SEE THE MOVIE AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN! Because I'm singing the praises of this film, and the Academy is singing with me. And when I sing the loudest it sounds like this: Love is a force of nature! Got it?

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm posting on my own blog! What a loser. I just wanted to say I didn't intend to write such an editorial. I thought I'd write something funny about the Academy Awards and how I'll be working out othe elipitical machine for 3 hours so I can watch it and then this is what i write. but i'm not apologizing!